Friday, August 3, 2012

Can you trust your Veterinarian?


I’m thinking that some vets are more interested in the money than the pet. Because of being unemployed and living on $1155 SS a month I use the clinics when they are in the area. (Yes both of my dogs are UTD and yes I was working when I adopted one of them. I was watching the other dog while an ex co-worker went on vacation and never came back.)

Today I took fecal samples to the vet to be tested. The dog that I was watching had whip worms when she came to stay with me and she was dragging her butt and I thought that maybe she has them again. The vet wouldn’t take them because the dogs hadn’t been seen in a year. The reasoning was that if they proved positive they wouldn’t treat them.

If there was something wrong I would bring them in and give up something else. (I have bought heart worm and flea/tick meds and skipped my own on occasion.) The vet wants me to spend $58 for each dog for an exam plus $28 each for the test. That’s $172. Then if they do have worms it’s another $58 plus meds for each dog. It’s money that I just don’t have.

Another example for thinking the vets over charge is because a month or so ago my cat (indoor) got cut on something and I did take him to the vet to make sure it was taken care of properly. That cost $58 for the office visit and they wanted another $77 for a shot of antibiotics. I refused the shot and asked for a script which I took to the pharmacy and got the meds for free.

If money was no object I would have taken the easy way out, but I’m not working and have all the time in the world to give oral meds every day for 2 weeks. Isn’t $77 a lot for antibiotics?

No comments:

Post a Comment